The Arizona Corporation Commission (ACC) decision on November 14 to impose a monthly fee on future rooftop solar homeowners left many observers wondering whether it was:
Quick Facts: Solar Electric
- A modest PV system only adds about $110/month to your mortgage and pays for itself during the life of the mortgage
- Similar dollar investments go into a car, but solar electricity pays you every month in savings on utility bills.
- Solar increases the value and resale opportunities of your home.
- Your solar equipment has value independent of your house. You could sell it or take it with you when you move.
- Solar equipment protects you from rate increases & fuel cost uncertainties. This may be an issue when electric competition begins in Arizona.6) Take advantage of state income tax credit and exemption from state sales tax.
- Use of solar may help decrease air pollution problems related to burning fossil fuels.
- Utility companies have much higher operational and maintenance cost with fossil fuel generated power than with solar. This eventually costs you.
- EPA/DOE studies indicate that the value of a home increases from $11 to $25 for every $1 reduction in annual utility bills.